Friday, July 23, 2010

The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller

Anyone who really knows me knows that I am a bit of a potty mouth. So, really, how could I resist a book on crocheting called Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker? Plus, it was a congratulatory gift from my favorite college professor for presenting at Honors Undergraduate Research Day. You can't look a gift-book in the mouth.

If you want to learn to crochet, to improve your skills, or to add some modern projects to your repertoire, then BUY THIS BOOK! It is informative and funny. It explains everything from the origins of the word hooker--hint: it has to do with poor lace makers looking to make a few extra dollars--to how to work in the round. I have not encountered an instruction that I cannot understand in this book. Better yet, this book is extremely well edited. A lot of crochet patterns are rife with little errors that leave you scratching your head at the end of a round/row because it just doesn't look right. I'm a huge fan of the book.

I've completed a few projects from this book, but I have found my very favorite one! The car seat/stroller blanket with matching beanie ranks as my favorite crochet project(s) to date. I include the plural because I enjoyed it so much I have made multiple different versions. The two projects as a pair make the perfect baby gift for someone you really love, the blanket is great for someone you are close to, and the hat is a quick gift for someone that you like. I've made two hats and three blankets for a total of five babies since May. Unfortunately, it has been a little hot since May, so I have not gotten any personal reviews of my handy-work. I'm sure my sister will let me know in a few months!

I uploaded pictures of my completed projects so that you will be convinced of the genius of this book. If you like the sock monkey appliques, then you really need to buy The Happy Hooker! It is another pattern from the book.

A note for my happy hookers: I did add a second loop to the pattern because it made more sense to me. It was really easy, so if you decide to make this project, let me know and I'll email you my altered instructions.







2 comments:

  1. i totally vouch for the cowboys beanie! :) glad you got this book! ~paul, susan, & caleb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

    ReplyDelete