Thursday, July 15, 2010

Listen up, women!

I have a major problem with women who think that the education system doesn't systematically subvert women's issues. These women belittle feminism as whining.

My question to them is, have you taken a women's studies class? Have you ever talked to a professional feminist?

I have. My favorite college professor specialized in American and Women's Studies. She was a single, lesbian woman bending gender roles. When I told her that I wanted to be a teacher (traditional), get married (traditional), and have a family (traditional), she was delighted for me. She knew that I was not "selling myself short." When I completed a project on quilting as art, she encouraged me to present my research.

I get really hot and bothered when the topic comes out, and it limits my ability to speak rationally with people. I will leave you with an argument that is fairly eloquent, even though it is from a Madonna song:

"What It Feels Like For A Girl"

Girls can wear jeans and cut their hair short, wear shirts and boots, because it's okay to be a boy. But for a boy to look like a girl is degrading, because you think being a girl is degrading. But secretly, you'd love to know what it's like wouldn't you? What is feels like for a girl...

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. Mostly because it makes me nearly bubble over with things to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say 'em sister! I wrote this in the middle of a maddening classroom discussion for my Multicultural Education course. I nearly started screaming.

    ReplyDelete